Choosing The Right Carpet | Where Do I Start?
In today’s age, carpeting matters. Back when carpet was the “new thing” it was a luxury item but now, it’s basic building block that help determine quality & even more, the value of the home itself. For instance, carpeting is the third largest investment the average homeowner makes, topped only by the home itself & vehicles [source: Carpet Buying Guide].
So the question comes, “What type of carpet do I need and how do I know?”
Simply put, the fiber from which the carpets made will be the top factor in choosing the one that’s right for you. Michael Hilton states in “The Carpet Buyers Handbook” that the type of fiber determines many of the carpet’s qualities and accounts for 80 percent of its cost. Remember that no fiber is right for all situations. Before you make your choice, you should look at a number of factors:
- Budget: Prices vary quite widely. Plan of action: Look for deals! You can usually find a good valued carpet at an affordable price. However, always pick something that you can look at for a long time. The last thing you want is a neon carpet that hurts your eyes to look at all because you wanted to save a couple bucks.
- Traffic: Is the carpet for a living room, where there will be a lot wear and tear? Or a guest room where activity will be minimal? Or a hallway or stairway? It’s best to base the type of carpet fiber by the level of activity each area receives.
- How’s The Weather There?: Is the carpet for a bathroom, kitchen, basement or pool area may be exposed to dampness. Some fibers tolerate it, some don’t. If you are looking for a carpet for a damper area of the home make sure to purchase a carpet with a strong carpet protector already applied to it. This will add additional protection from water & dampness.
- Lifespan: Do you want the carpet to last 10 maybe 20 years? Or are you planning to replace it in under a decade? Usually, the longer the longevity of a carpet the higher the price will be.
- Family Members: Are there likely to be spills and accidents? Kids playing on the floor? Puppies that need to be house trained? You should consider these things before choosing a fiber since the durability can vary greatly.
You also want to think about fiber in relation to other aspects of the carpet you’re considering on buying. For example, some fibers are best for low-pile or low-loop carpets. Some require greater density or more yarn twist.
Dying method is another factor to consider. Some fibers can be solution dyed – the color is mixed in when the fiber is being made. With stock dying, the fiber is dyed later and the color does not penetrate.
Think of the difference between a tomato and an apple; the tomato, like solution-dyed fiber, is the same color throughout. Stock dying leaves the color on the surface, as it is with the apple, red on the outside and white on the inside. Solution dying usually results in a smaller range of colors available, but greater resistance to fading.
These are all factors that should be considered. As you can see purchasing the most efficient carpet for you takes a little more research. But, with the right direction you can find the best to fit the right situation with least amount of cost.
If you find a carpet that you especially like but lacks the protection that is needed for the given area in your home please give us a call at (720) 304-3910 & speak with one of certified technicians about our powerful carpet protection products.
- Chem-dry was great to work with. The technicians are very professional and really know their stuff. The company backs their work up too.
- Excellent service!
- Chem dry was so great and really brightened up my dirty carpet!
- Punctual, efficient, reliable and competent are the best adjectives. Thanks Chem Dry!!
- Excellent carpet cleaning. The carpet was so soft, clean and dried really fast. Would definitely recommend and will use them again.
- Chem-Dry just pulled away and we are so happy with the results on our small area rug! I would definitely use these guys again.
- ChemDry spot remover is the best product on the market by far and we have compared every product out there!
- On time, courteous, professional and my carpet looks great!